About This Course
ASME’s B31.1 Code on Power Piping is widely adopted by jurisdictions worldwide and applicable to various power plants, despite the energy source, including traditional hydrocarbon service or alternate sources such as solar and geothermal. Further it also specifies engineering requirements deemed necessary throughout the entire lifecycle at a power plant including safe and effective power piping design, construction, operation, and maintenance.
As a power piping engineering professional at various power plants, your success is predicated on a comprehensive understanding of power piping systems before, during, and after installation. This end-to-end learning path covers design & failures, materials, fabrication, examination, and testing—as well as thorough understanding of the ASME B31.1 code requirements and background. Safe and proper application of the B31.1 Code and insight into industry best practices from this learning path will help piping engineers to not only comply with regulations but succeed in achieving the operational, reliability, regulatory, cost, and safety goals of their organization. This official ASME learning path is designed to provide attendees with the key considerations, skills, and competencies to excel as a power piping engineering professional.
- Digital course notes via ASME’s Learning Platform
- Access to digital copies of ASME B31.1 Power Piping Code
- Please bring a calculator to each day of class.
- Practicing piping engineers requiring background on Code compliance and trends in piping design, analysis, and fabrication expectations.
- Piping manufacturers, fabrication personnel, fabricators, erectors, and suppliers wishing to understand the relationship of manufacture, fabrication, and installation to the design of power piping systems.
- Jurisdictional, in-company examination and inspection, and QA/QC personnel seeking to understand the design and construction requirements they are responsible to assure and control
Module 1: ASME B31.1 Power Piping Design
ASME B31 Scope and Operations
Piping Failure Modes
Piping Design Conditions
ASME B31.1 Piping Design Criteria
Component and System Design
Pressure Design and Straight Pipe
Pressure Design of Piping Components
Guarding Against Pipe Collapse
Providing Adequate Piping Flexibility
Stress Intensification Factors
Simplified Piping Analysis and Layout
Pipe Support Design
Module 2: ASME B31.1 Power Piping Materials Fabrication, Examination, Testing, & Maintenance
Materials, Fabrication & Examination
Materials-Control and Selection
Metallurgy – Steels
Fabrication of Piping Systems
Fabrication of Piping Systems Welding Qualifications
Inspection, Examination, & Testing
Materials, Fabrication, & Examination Workshop
Authorized Training Instructor, ASME