Fundamentals of Pumps and Their Selection for Optimum System Performance
About This Course
This course covers the nature of pumps and valves and how they interact for optimum system performance. The course discusses the requirements necessary for the selection of pumps and valves. It is structured in a sequence, starting from basics to detailed discussion of various aspects of both pumps and valves. It is designed to help participants develop a full understanding of how pumps and valves work, covering selection, installation, operation, maintenance, and trouble shooting.
This course covers topics, such as the flow of fluids (e.g., calculating the flow of fluids and pressure drop), the selection of centrifugal pumps, and the selection of positive displacement pumps. It also discusses types of valves, flow characteristics of valves, and the best practices in installation, measurement of flow rate in closed conduits; calibration methods for Venturi, Orifice, and elbow meters; and operation and maintenance.
During the course participants receive guidance in making cost-effective decisions on the sizing of a pipeline diameter and tips for avoiding poor system operation. The course also discusses how centrifugal pumps are selected according to a procedure of matching the system curve of the pipeline to the pump performance curve. It also discusses positive displacement pumps, types of valves and pumps, and a valve selection guide.
- Learners receive downloadable spreadsheets with calculations and downloadable PDFs of the course presentation, and a chapter from the textbook, Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, 6th Edition, by Dr. William S. Janna.
- Participants are required to bring calculators, French or Flex curves, and dividers.
- The instructor recommends that learners purchase the Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, 6th Edition textbook.
- This ASME Virtual Classroom course is held live with an instructor on our online learning platform.
- Certificate of completion will be issued to registrants who successfully attend and complete the course
- This course is designed for design engineers, process selection engineers, procurement personnel, project engineers, quality personnel, operation & maintenance engineers, and inspection engineers in the power and process industries.
Review of Preliminary Topics
Meters in Pipelines
Positive Displacement Pumps
Authorized Training Instructor, ASME